Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cauliflower Fettuccine Alfredo

One of two things is going on with my social media habits. 

1) I am either a really good pinner. (You can find me here)

OR

2) Pinterest really does have a plethora of really amazing and fantastic ideas and recipes.

Let's go with both so I can give myself a pat on the back. I've tried a few recipes that I have found interesting from Pinterest, but to-date, the most recent endeavor triumphs over the others.

Cauliflower. Fettuccine. Alfredo. Yes....CAULIFLOWER. 

It was epic. Creamy. Flavorful (and not tasting like purred veggies), garlicy, rich, filling, and at the same time didn't make me feel like a brick after I had eaten a nice size bowl. It also kept WAY better than traditional alfredo and didn't just break down into a whole bunch of oil. This was boyfriend and dude-friend approved. I can't stop raving about it.

I followed the Pinch of Yum recipe with a few minor modifications.

CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SAUCE
Author: 
Serves: makes about 5 cups
 
INGREDIENTS
  • 8 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 5-6 cups cauliflower florets ( I used one full head of a decent sized cauliflower)
  • 6-7 cups vegetable broth or water (I used one box, and seemed to cover my cauliflower, but was only about 4-5 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
  • ½ teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
  • ½ cup milk (more to taste)- I had some cream on hand, so I used that instead, but a little less than 1/2 cup
  • I added two types of cheese- Freshly grated peccorino and parm- I think this is what made the dish! I used probably 1/2ish in total.
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Garlic: Saute the minced garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant but not browned (browned or burnt garlic will taste bitter). Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Cauliflower: Bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Do not drain.
  3. Puree: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower pieces to the blender. Add 1 cup vegetable broth or cooking liquid, sauteed garlic/butter, salt, pepper, and milk. Blend or puree for several minutes until the sauce is very smooth, adding more broth or milk depending on how thick you want the sauce. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Serve hot! If the sauce starts to look dry, add a few drops of water, milk, or olive oil.


So I also have to say I am bit embarrassed to admit this...but I was so enamored with this sauce, that I had woofed down almost my entire bowl before I thought to take a photo...so you get a photo of my half eaten pasta. Glamorous. Not. (Also please pardon the blurry photo--again I was too involved with eating)

 I also had been having a cake craving. Which is pretty odd. I usually never crave cake. We even tried a cupcake to see if that would satisfy my craving...it did not. So I whipped up this little gem. An easy cake recipe, that completely hit the spot and satisfied that nagging craving!


 Has anyone else found some amazing recipes on Pinterest? I am excited to try this baked salmon!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!