Sunday, November 16, 2014

10 Years an ADPi

A few weeks ago, I sat down at my desk/work and was checking my personal emails before getting my day started. Sitting in my inbox was an email congratulating me on being initiated into the Alpha Delta Pi sisterhood ten years ago. As it would happen, my parents were also here visiting me, and my parents and sister were the major reason I made the decision to "Go Greek" when I headed to the University of Washington for college.

I grew up hearing stories of my parents "days in the house", and shenanigans with their friends, many of which they are still in contact with today. My sister also has maintained ties with her sorority sisters, and I knew from example that sorority life and sisterhood will be four memorable years, followed by a lifetime of meaningful friendships.

My choice to join ADPi, has and will be one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Never mind that I loved living in a true house and having a cook and house boys to move furniture. Or the fact that we had dances, socials, sisterhoods, and fun events just about every week. It wasn't about being President, or having my own room, or receiving that wooden gavel which still means a lot to me.

What I took from ADPi was the opportunity to reveal and discover myself, to share some of the most formidable years of my life with women who supported me as more than just friends, but individuals who believed in the same life philosophies and treatment of others. I didn't develop my confidence from holding leadership positions, or learning how to talk to boys at grab-a-dates, or participating in a beauty competition in front of the entire Greek community. It was through unconditional love, support and mutual respect with the 100+ women I called sisters during those four years. Particularly, the women in my pledge class, who have remained some of my closest and dearest friends that I know will be with my through the rest of my life.

I was a tad emotional when I saw that email about 10 years an ADPi.

I paused for moment and through some uncertain feelings about my life right now- I remembered how insanely fortunate I am for what my sorority experience has given to me.

Ten years and counting for belonging to the best sisterhood and knowing some of the best women I could have ever asked for in life!




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!