Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Becoming a (dog)Mom

I know I have been absent around these parts most of this year. Not to fall into the DC cliche of "I'm Busy! I'm Important!" rabbit hole- but I have felt busy, not important, so you could say busily unimportant.

Regardless, when I was home earlier this year I got in my mind that I should start dog shopping. With my new personal deadline for leaving DC set in stone (I've even alerted my boss! So its official!), I figured I should find a furpanion to really kick-start my new beginning once I drive west and leave DC in the dust.

Some initial research led me to seeing some poodle puppies. And boy where they cuuuttteee! I was having a hard enough time possibly picking between a brown/tan boy and a black/brown girl. However, I've always loved solid colored poodles- so deep down; I wasn't sure either of those were "my pup". Then over dinner one night, my family and I were discussing my dog shopping and my dad mentioned that the couple who they got their wonderful dog, Kimber, from had just had another litter of puppies. Withing 20 minutes we went from eating dinner to driving over to go see the pups.

They were beyond adorable. All but two had already found forever homes and there was a little mellow boy and a very rambunctious little girl. The girl pup, temporarily named Miracle, was from a little where she was the only survivor and also had a star shaped white patch of fur on her head. I really did love her, but her mom was an awful sheader and Miracle also showed some signs of being very high energy and dispelling fur like it was her job. While I really adored her that little boy pup seemed to stick in my head.

The first picture of my pup- before I even knew he would be mine

The next day I left to drive up to Sun Valley to spend Easter Weekend with Nicole and my favorite little people. On the drive back to Boise on Easter evening my mom called and told me that the breeders had let her know that they really want me to take one of the dogs ( I secretly think they wanted me to pick Miracle), and they would give me a discount on the dog. By the time I got back to Boise the decision had been made and I called them to let them know I "wanted the little boy". Cue the disbelief and rearrangement of flights so I could be in Idaho a bit longer to pick him up and get him settled with my parents. I got to go visit him once in between my initial meeting and the "pick-up date".

Playing on the deck with his siblings

The first time he was officially "mine"

Hanging out with grandpa on the visit before he went  home with me

Cuddles and love with a sibling

"Puppy" came home with me on April 15th and quickly settled into his new life with a "big sister' as he was going to stay with my parents for about a week while I went back to DC quickly before going to San Diego for my best friends wedding. I remember being totally shocked when we went over, handed over a check, and then walked out clutching this tiny 8 lbs dog that I held in the backseat of my parents car for the drive home. He did really well with being taken away from his family, and did so great his first evening in new surroundings.
Quickly settled in and took a nap once we got him home

Playing with his half-sister Kimber

settling into his new "bed"

My dad had  gone out of his way to help me set up their crates so we had two places to keep the little guy, and even helped with the potty breaks that were around the clock. 

Even at just a few weeks old he looked like a fox. 

Since I extended my trip a bit, I worked from my parents kitchen mainly (so I could keep him on an easy to clean floor) and he slept at my feet most of the day.



Kimber was gracious to let him play with her toys and they both would play until they were tuckered out.


The few days after I picked him up before I headed back to DC were spent making sure I had stocked up on all the critical items, coordinating having everything ready for him back in DC, and acclimating him to the travel bag that he would fly in. Luckily, we had decided to go up to Sun Valley for my niece's birthday and it was a great excuse to make him ride in the bag for a few hours. 

Even as a little tiny guy, he was almost too big for the bag from the get go. It was a stroke of good luck that the timing worked out and he fit and tolerated for his voyage back East. 

Hanging out with his Aunt Nicole

Being loved on by his cousin Wyatt

Stanley is clearly my dog as he loved Sun Valley and wore himself out being the cutest dog at the park and everywhere we went. My sister and nephew loved him (Ava- not so much). 


One of my favorite photos of him

It was hard leaving him to go celebrate Sara's wedding, but it was so nice to know he was in the most loving care with my parents watching over him. 

There is so much more to tell, like the flight back, the around the clock potty breaks in a city, picking a puppy school, picking all the things a puppy needs, and falling in love every day with the sweetest dog I could have possibly imagined. I'm so thankful to have found my pup- as he makes everyday brighter and makes me so excited and confident in making more decisions that are about me. It's a lot of work, but being a dog mom is one of the favorite things I've taken on. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!