Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just a Friday Night with Big Buck Hunter Pro

On Friday I was invited to go to Mackey's, a bar just around the corner from my office. After a beer or two the crowd started to head home and I decided to go meet up with a co-worker/friend in Chinatown for a few more drinks. I met him at a Rocket Bar which I was pleasantly surprised to find was busy, but crazy crowded for a Friday night. There were three large bars, which made getting a drink a breeze and then of course there was the entertainment...

This is something I really have to laugh at just because of where I come from. There is a game, I am sure some of you have seen it, Big Buck Hunter Pro. I have seen it in a few bars around D.C., but had no idea how much people really enjoyed this game. My co-worker and his friends are really into it. Now having never played, I was satisfied just watch them get all crazy with a plastic shotgun. I will say the game is really amusing with one exception. When there are little bunnies being the target I get kind of a bad feeling in my stomach. But other than that, watching some animated bucks fly through the air and fall to their impending death...is oddly entertaining.

After Rocket Bar we headed to get a bite to eat. After failing to get into Matchbox (so good) we went to a place called Ella's. I was instantly a happy camper when I saw they had Rogue Dead Man's Ale from Portland on their menu. Everyone ordered pizza, but thanks to my "23 before 23" Number 1, I stuck with an appetizer of homemade tortellini filled with butternut squash served with fresh sage butter sauce and crumbled amaretti, which was absolutely delicious. It was a little on the small side for dinner, but the price and flavor were great.

After some food my co-worker kindly stayed with my in Chinatown so I wouldn't have to figure out a cab and risk missing the metro and all that jazz and took me to Rosa Mexicano. At first sight I was a little turned off by the decor behind the bar. What originally looked like pink cheetah print on the walls was actually rose petals ( as I was informed by my co-worker) at which is became much more appealing. The selling point- the pomegranate Margarita. I ordered, turned to talk to said co-worker, turned around again, and magically my drink had appeared. It was delicious and a fabulous shade of pink!

A spectacular unplanned evening.

1 comment:

  1. The secret is to really go "Buck" wild on that thing! Good times. Esp after a few beers ;)

    ReplyDelete