Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Look Back at 2008

I am going to steal this idea from a few of my friends who have already posted similar postings on their blogs. A lot has happened in a year and it is always interesting to write it down and see where you came from and what you have done. So here it is, my reflection on 2008


January 2008:


I officially handed over my Presidency early in the month and instantly had more time, and a lot less stress than I was used to. I moved into my new room and found a lot of time to hang out with friends. Alli also hosted our unforgettable wine and cheese party.






February:


Alli took me on a great adventure to Revelstoke B.C. for a weekend of skiing with her family. I learned that speed doesn't hold up in the trees, and enjoyed spending time with her family and drinking fine wine.




Carly and I attended the "Almost Famous" dance as Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan.




March:


Alex and I spent spring break in D.C. checking out places to live, sight-seeing, and getting acquainted with our soon-to-be new place of residence. I had a long break this year and was able to go to Houston after D.C. where we spent Easter together. (I enjoyed the egg dying more than Alex)


April:


Stephanie returned home from her study abroad program in Rome and surprised us with her engagement to her now husband, Phil!


By far one of my favorite memories from Senior year occurred when we spent a weekend in Longbeach, WA at Carly's beach house. Since my parents read this I will spare the details of the debauchery, but we had a great time and played a ton of catch phrase!





My final Black Diamond was epic. The Senior women really knew how to go all out at a dance and my date was a a great sport. "I am a Senior! I am a tank!"











May:



Was very busy.



I started the month with my final trip to Houston to attend a wedding for Alex's co-worker's daughter. It was at the historic Houstonian Hotel and Alex surprised me with a early birthday gift by reserving a room for us at the hotel.



Not able to go home for mother's day, Stephanie and I spent a day at Safeco field to watch the Mariners. We also fell in love with Fro-Yo, an addiction that lasted till we parted ways after graduation!







My mom came over for my sororities annual mother daughter luncheon which was a great finish to my four years in the house. And for those who are wondering...yes, I do missing talking to Gretchen on the phone. My mom and I had some of the best weather for her visit. We were able to do the Ride the Ducks tour, something we had planned to do but hadn't gotten around to. We also went to one of my favorite Seattle Restaurants on Alki, Cactus, for dinner one night.


Another wonderful Senior memory was being invited to Alli's family's beach house on San Juan Island. Kendal, Alli, Sean and myself spend some wonderful days exploring the island. Playing in tidal pools, ping pong marathon (" I PLAY LOSER"), seeing a beyond-description yacht, a brief hike, playing with Alpacas, and WHALE WATCHING! The whole weekend had almost passed, but just in time we got to see three orca whales swimming right around our boat. It was an experience I will never forget!




The month concluded with Senior Swami- which I doubt a lot of the seniors remember. AND....My BIRTHDAY (much more laid back than last year!)


June:


My parents and sister came over and my mom treated us to a family vacation to Victoria BC for a tour of the Butchart Gardens (so beautiful!) and a wine tasting tour.


And then on 14th, I took my first steps into the real world and graduated from the University of Washington with a B.A. in Business Administration and a minor in Dance.





Unfortunately this was also the point where I had to say my goodbyes and prepare to pick my life up and move to the other side of the country.



For the rest of June I spent time at home in Idaho and went on a 10 day rafting trip with my parents down the main fork of the salmon river.



July:



Alex flew to Idaho and we spend some final days with my parents before we packed as much as we could into my car and started our 2.5 week journey across the US.






In Denver we got to see my old exchange student, and one of my best friends, Javier for a night. In Houston we moved Alex out of his apartment and then set out for a friend's wedding in Illinois. We learned how to not go crazy driving on two blown wheel bearings for over 300 miles. We backed tracked to Branson to see Alex's grandparents- a major blessing in hindsight! And the continued on our way to land in Virgina.


August:


Started my job search and moving into our new apartment.


September:


Was still on the job search.



I flew to Seattle to attend Steph's wedding. The first one of the pledge class to get married! It was a great event and Stephanie looked stunning!




October:



I found my job!! Which was a long time in the making. After interview after interview I had given up finding a great job...and then I landed my job that I love love love!



We hosted our first house guest at the end of the month. As a friend from high school moved to DC herself. Making me feel a little more at home, having someone I knew here.



November:



Obama



ANNDD.... Kendal came to visit me! We did a speed tour of D.C. sights to see which I think almost killed both of our feets! But it was so great to get to see her.



December:



A much needed trip to Idaho to be with my family. And a surprise from Alli which resulted in a trip to Seattle/Portland.


2 comments:

  1. Yay sounds fun! Man I would make one of these if I ... a) had a blog or b) had less depressing things to talk about. I hope your 09' is the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete