Saturday, May 2, 2009

Elephants Are Distracting

Friday was full of surprises!



First off, Alex and I had decided to meet up for lunch at check out an Indian restaurant close to my office near DuPont. When I met Alex at a corner he was carrying a very spring festive bag. He told me he had gotten me something. I was thinking maybe some chocolate or a rice krispy treat, and wrapped up fancy. Well we got to lunch and he had me open the bag. Under the layers of really pretty spring colored tissue paper I found a folded up piece of paper. I opened the paper and saw an airline itinerary for the weekend of my birthday to Jacksonville Florida. I almost started crying in the restaurant. I had been really wanting to go to FL to visit Stephanie and Kendal was planning on being down there for the same weekend. I thought it would be a wonderful way to celebrate my 23rd birthday. Naturally my budget was just too tight to really consider the plane ticket since I feel like I need to be putting my money towards loans and bills. So needless to say, it was a wonderful early birthday present that made my week/month.



After lunch I treated myself to a 24 Karrot cupcake from hello cupcake and a chai. I was pretty burnt out from the week (this full time schedule is tough!) and wasn't having a lot of luck motivating myself. (Side note: I made my first hire though which was thrilling and really makes me think I want to try my hand at recruiting once the economy turns around). But then news got around the office that there was an elephant across the street at The Mayflower which is a very old, historical hotel here in DC. I couldn't resist so I headed outside to see the commotion.



Sure enough, there was an elephant. A couple was getting married and had planned a traditional Indian ceremony which included the groom riding around the block in DC on an elephant. Some people from work and myself stood around and watch the procession which was quite a show! Let's just say I never expected to see an elephant strolling down the streets of the nations capital! This happened about a year ago, you can read the story from that to get an idea of what I saw!

1 comment:

  1. FL tix = awesome bday present, yay :)
    cupcake & 1st hire = you rock
    random elephant = best day ever!

    ReplyDelete