Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Have Arrived (well for this brief moment of satisfaction)

Today was a day I have been holding out for a long time for. I have glimmers of the "this is why I do what I do and why I hit repeat everyday and come to work". But today was a day where I got the full blown feeling of knowing what I am doing, doing it well, and having someone recognize that I am doing it well. The act that caused this was rather simple when I type it out: I found a hire that was a home run. One of those candidates that elicits the "yes, this was a perfect read for the position" reaction. And it was rewarding. I felt like I flew solo for the first time. Granted I have recruited and hired people for all two years I have been at this job now, but today's conclusion of my recruiting efforts was different. I felt like the light went on and I am finally starting to understand how things snap together, how to do the little things flawlessly and to the point that I can free myself up to do bigger and more meaningful things.

Perhaps it was the interaction with the candidate. I love the human aspect of my job. (slightly ironic considering I am currently researching the inhuman components that make my job easier). But I love the human impact of my job. Just a few days ago I was totally down and out about feeling as if I was invisible, that my work was invisible and that I could keep grinding away, doing what i am doing, making progress that I see and making changes that I notice, but everyone else would just pass by my office and continue to wonder what it is that I exactly do. Today reminded me why I picked to do this, why I am here, why I keep pushing forward. And yes tomorrow I am sure things will be as usual. But I was elated today. I did something real, something tangible, something that someone else acknowledged as great.

Pretty sure I am going to sleep like a log for the first time in quite awhile. Bliss!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!