Sunday, March 8, 2009

Boise Mall

Now I know this really had nothing to do with Washington D.C., but this blog is about me (ha! How vain!) and I feel it appropriate to blog on where my roots are.

I was catching up on my Idaho news on Idahostatesman.com and found an article this morning about the fate of the sculpture that stood in the entry way at the Boise Towne Center (lame name for the Boise Mall). The sculpture was of two boys swinging on a tire swing. I remember the water pool below them was always filled with coins and if you were going to make a wish it was always lucky if your coin landed on the brass slab that sat just at the waters surface and held the statue up. This fountain was the place where you would meet up at the end of the day when your mom would take you and your 4 little elementary school friends to mall and would let you wander alone freely by yourself and spend your parents money in Claires. When I think back I can vividly imagine what the sculpture looked like and how it seemed quite large at the time.

Well what might you ask has spurred me to take a trip down memory lane concerning the Boise Mall? Well the statue had been removed from the mall when it went through a period of rejuvenation. Strangely, I have visited the mall many times on my trips home, and somehow managed to miss the fact that this icon of childhood was gone from the main entrance. In the article in the statesman they say that the statue has been cut up and is at a recycling center. How strange to have a piece of art go to a recycling center? Really? Way to go Idaho. The mall said they would give it to someone who wanted to put it back together and do something with it, and they had no takers. However the recycling location said that they have had people lining up to take the sculpture. Not even going to ask on what type of advertising the mall did to get people informed about the sculpture. My guess...none at all. Anyways, Tim Woodward, the columnist who reported on this, is taking suggestions for where it should be relocated to. My top three options:
Boise Grove
Boise Train Depot
Somewhere along the Greenbelt

You can read the whole story Here.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!