Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Felt the Earth Shake Under My Feet

So there was an earthquake if you haven't already heard. It was rather exciting if I do say so. Since DC is not normally a city that experiences earthquakes people were particularly shaken (no pun intended) by this. Even today (as talks shift to our next natural disaster--a hurricane named Irene) people are still talking about where they were right before, when, and right after the 'quake. Rather amusing if you ask me. Just as DC does everything else with a bit of sass...so are people's reactions.

Luckily what I witnessed was very low key. My office building was evacuated and we ended up having to stand on the sidewalks for quite awhile as building inspectors deemed the building "safe". We did have to use the stairs which was a workout for sure when you work on the 8th floor! By the time I headed home most people had fled the city (I kid you not) so the bus was empty and I wasn't caugh in any crazy traffic on the way home. Nothing was wrong with my apartment except for a few items on the floor that weren't there in the morning.

Next up is some crazy wind and rain. Tonight I had to get milk to have cereal for dinner (back to iamanadultandicaneatanddowhatiwant) and I stocked up one "hurricane essentials" (ok ok, rather what I would want to eat if I get stuck in my apartment all weekend with my book and TiVo. Here is what came home:

1 gallon of milk
2 boxes of cereal
1 bag of frozen ready to cook hashbrowns
1 cartoon of eggs
1 pack bacon (a girl needs her sunday morning breakfast!)
Butter (running low- I promise I am not going to start licking butter to stay alive)
1 bottle of white wine
1 package of pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough
1 package of instant pudding

ok so what we have learned. I obviously have no crisis management skills once I am outside of the office. But by damn I can create a disaster management plan for a whole floor of people. Go college degree!

Luckily I don't think I will starve to death between the breakfast food and fatty mcfatterson choices I lugged home.

Anyone having a hurricane party? Nothing better to do when it is pouring rain!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you survived the Great DC Quake relatively unscathed Hon! I applaud your emergency preparedness. Good call on the cookie dough. Although - only ONE bottle of wine...? Oh Gurl... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg hashbrowns sound so good right now!! may i suggest some canned items in case you lose electricity?

    ReplyDelete