Thursday, November 21, 2013

Twinkle Toes

I have thought about picking up ballet again for a long time. I even took that one class....forever ago. It has just never been something I could make a priority for a variety of reasons. Luckily, everything falls into place for a reason, and I haven't been the only one thinking about getting back to my dancing roots. My friend Lauren, who was WAY more serious about ballet than I was, wanted to start taking classes again. As we all know, having a buddy always makes it a bit easier to to something and stick with it. 

Lauren and I found a few classes in the area, and ended up settling on the Dance Institute of Washington, since it is in an easily accessible location for both of us, and had a class time that we could both make with our jobs. 

We have attended two classes and I am loving it! It is hard. Like makemefeellikeiveneverdonethisbefore hard. My legs hurt. My feet hurt. I can hardly hold a passe or do a single turn, but it feels good just to think ballet again. I also love having a standing date with a friend. It is really refreshing to do a something that is self centered. It is something that reminds me of someplace besides here. It reminds me of some of the best times of my life, and while we are just struggling to to a simple plie these days-- it is something I look forward to.

I am pretty sure we will stick with it, and possibly pick up another class so we are going twice a week. While I am sure Lauren will graduate to some more advance classes at a different school- I am perfectly content doing the basic and just working on the basics for now. 

Makes me think about other things I did growing up, and how I should get back into them! What would you get back into if you could?

1 comment: