Friday, October 3, 2008

Baked Alaska...Just for you Sarah Palin

To continue my themed desserts that I am taking to our friend's apartment where we watch the debates since we are sans tv, I made baked alaska (Alex's idea) in honor of the VP debate. I give myself 4 stars for this recipe attempt.
First the making of the sponge cake:

Butter Sponge:
1 C. Sifted cake flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 C. Milk
1/4 C. Butter or Margerine
6 Egg yolks
1 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Sift together the flour and baking powder. Beat egg yolks till think and then add the sugar slowly. Add vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and mix until just barely mixed together. Heat milk and butter together (I did this in the microwave) make sure it is really hot. Pour into mixture and stir. Bake in a greased pan (9x9) at 350 for 30- 35 minutes. Don't invert and leave in pan, you will construct the rest of the dessert in this pan.

Here is what my sponge looked like:




Once the sponge is done baking, let it sit until cool and then place in the freezer. Meanwhile find a bowl that is smaller in diameter than your sponge and line with plastic wrap. Press your choice of ice cream into the bowl (about 1.5 quart) and place in freezer. Now you need to make your meringue.

Use your left over egg whites from earlier...only you only need about half of the 6. And then you need about 1/4 cup sugar for every egg white. Place your eggs in a ceramic bowl (NOT PLASTIC) and use a wisk to beat. If you have a hand mixer opt for that, but I was on my own. Beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar beating until dissolved. Add a little (1/4c. to 1/2 c.) powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla, keep whipping until strong peaks. Set aside.

Take sponge and ice cream out. Place ice cream in center of sponge. Cover in meringue. SEAL THE EDGES!! Baked on 500 degrees until meringue is golden brown...serve right away.

And here is my baked alaska









2 comments:

  1. So, is that what a Baked Alaska is supposed to look like? You know rugged like the terrain? I don't know I don't bake? Well probably better than I could do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You light it on fire right? And this is the aftermath? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete