Thursday, October 2, 2008

In Honor of the Presidential Debates...an Apple Pie



So I decided to bake an apple pie in honor of the first presidential debates. I borrowed ideas from two different recipes and set out to make my first pie. I was stressing about the crust, since as a child my grandma made the most amazing flaky, buttery crust I have ever tasted. I choose a recipe that used both butter and shortening (yum fat) and was pleasantly surprised with the texture. I don't own a rolling pin, so I used a glass which proved to be challenging and my crust kind of looked like a patch work quilt on the top. Here is a photo of the apples being put in the crust.


After this I rolled out another sheet of crust to go on top (which tore in places) and then after I put it on top of my pie realized I forgot my cubed of butter (which are supposed to make the pie rich and creamy) so we had to do surgery on my pie. Needless to say I finally got it all together, wrapped the edges in tin foil to avoid burning and popped it in the oven.


After a small minor catastrophe...the insides bubbled out of the crust and started smoking, setting off our fire alarm, I ended up with a delicious pie that was greatly enjoyed during the debates.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!