Saturday, April 18, 2009

All I Wanna Do is DANCE

Well the dance bug has bitten me again. Maybe it is my Colonix system kicking my energy levels into high gear. (If I haven't mentioned my Colonix system to you yet...ask me on the phone...it is too gruesome to post on here! Lets just say my diet is a little more restricted than usual, I am drinking more water than you could store in 20 camels and there are some other things going on.) But wherever this burst of burning desire to dance and create is coming from I am going to need to fuel the fire and soon!

I have been dancing around the apartment occasionally when a song of inspiration plays on my Pandora Station. I have found a piece that I am dying to choreograph to. Unfortunately I can only move so much in my 1-bed apartment. I have been experimenting with some moves and have come up with some really beautiful modern/neo-classical moves that I hope to incorporate if I can ever find the space to put together the bits and pieces of this dance I have running through my head.

Deep down I am relived that this time as come. Granted it is sad to know that due to the hip injury and age in general my days of dancing on pointe are most likely over, but I think that with some diligent work-outs and flexibility I could be back in a studio (now to find the money to support my dance habit) in a short amount of time. After my last year in school I wasn't sure I was ever going to enjoy returning to a studio. Being a dance major was a blessing and a total curse. A blessing because I have the minor to possibly support my long-term goal to open my own dance studio. But a curse because the classes I took in college with the exception of two, were decently miserable and made me question my love and passion for dance. The dance department just didn't do it with their "progressive" teaching techniques and ass-hole personalities. Frankly I think I would have been better to have taken classes outside school if the minor wasn't something I wanted. But let's not dwell on the negative past. I am just glad that I have any interest in a plie or grande jette since for months on end I didn't even like to watch "Center Stage" GASP!

I used to practice turn in my parents kitchen when I was cooking and would do full barres everyday after school on my days off from dance. I missed that enthusiasm and love for ballet and wondered after college if all the technical and political bullshit ruined me for life.

I won't say I am the same. I don't try to fall asleep with my legs turned out anymore, or lay for hours on the floor in contorted positions to lengthen muscles. But I do find myself listening to music and moving my arms through first position and marking movements with my feet. It may not be the same...but it is a start.

I really need to learn how to notate choreography. I am not even sure there is anywhere you can take a class on that sort of thing. I may just be buying some books and self teaching.

Since I have started looking for a ballet studio to take some easy starter classes so get my back into dancing shape I have realized that my idea for a community dance school is still in the back of my head. Hence my reasoning to go back to get my MBA (see previous post). Awhile ago I had someone really pushing me to work on opening my dance school, unfortunately we don't keep in touch much anymore and my motivation to research and put together some formal ideas of a business plan fell off the to-do list. But perhaps something to think about for the future. For now...I am going to run with the fact that I am enjoying expressive movement again!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!