Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ode to the HR Professional

Like I mentioned in an earlier post. I am currently taking over for my boss while she is on maternity leave. I have so much respect for what she does and seems to handle everything with grace. Half the time I don't even know how much stuff she has to do and I am her assistant!

In my short period as a full-time employee covering as an HR manager I have found that indeed the profession I grew to find very interesting in college is truly a complex and challenging field. (Not that I didn't think this before, but there is so much that I didn't even know or hadn't even scratched the surface on).

I will say that I don't think HR professionals get enough credit for what they do and the type of person it takes to be in those types of positions. People/employees generally don't fully grasp what their HR department deals with, manages and maintains. While I am biased I think that HR is the lifeline of the company. Granted whatever your product/service is you have to focus on that. But (to pull out some wide ADPi knowledge) it all comes down to your people. Who you've got, who you want and how you deal with them. It is crucial. I think people forget that their HR departments are working for them, granted it benefits the company but it is about the people in the company more than anything.

I will say that I feel that I have put in a fair amount of dirty work. I know people make fun of me for being the "glee club" when I am found decorating someones work space for their birthday. And yes, I feel degraded, frustrated and hurt that they don't value my efforts. But I also know that the people who laugh or think it is a waste of time also don't know what I do with the other 8 hours of my day while I am working.

And not to mention I think I might be the world's best crepe paper decorator. Yes, I think it is true. You should see my twisting skills...they are impeccable.

Anyways, to conclude. I love HR. I have a new respect for any professional who has taken it on as a profession. And I admire my boss. And I dare you to take me on with your crepe paper skills....BRING IT.

1 comment: