Saturday, April 18, 2009

Church Shopping

I never really understood the idea of "Church shopping". Growing up I went to my parent's churches. In high school I went to the church my friends went to. And in college I went were it seemed the majority of students went. I was involved in a great small bible study for 3.5 years in college and never really thought that finding a church would ever be difficult because I had attended ones that were so great.

Well now I am "Church Shopping" in Alexandria. Last week I attended Easter Sunday Services at a Methodist Church near King Street. While I had a pleasant experience and everyone was very welcoming and I even received a personal email from the pastor later that week welcoming me to the church and inviting me to come back. It just doesn't fit as well as I would like. The congregation is small, a bit older than I am used to and the service is very traditional. While the sermon was well spoken and something I could relate to, it didn't really feel....moving.

So I am searching. I found a possible church...Presbyterian, but looks like what I have been used to, and my college church was a Presbyterian church. And they have a contemporary service...but it starts at 8:50am! Ugh.

I am going to give another chance to the Methodist Church I went to last weekend tomorrow and see if I like it any better. I do need to find someplace to go that I feel I fit in, since I feel like this has been a part of my life that has been missing since I moved out here. I haven't really meant to let it fall to the side, but it is hard to find the motivation to do something that is out of my comfort zone when I don't have anyone to go with me. But hopefully I am on track to find a church that fits me. Keep my search in your prayers/thoughts!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!